Director of Business Development, Bioassay/Biosimilar Product Portfolio
Job Code: DrX024-2017
Reports to: Sr. Vice President, Global Sales and Distribution
Location: Fremont, CA
The successful candidate for the Director of Business Development will become an integral part of the commercial team with responsibilities of building market position by developing, negotiating, and closing business relationships.
- Service existing accounts, obtains orders/ contracts and establish new accounts for the DiscoverX Biologics, Biosimilar and Manufacturing/QC Product Portfolio.
- Support business growth as needed: including traveling to visit clients, on-site technical visits, participation in teleconferences to present on Biologics capabilities to new potential clients. This individual will also be expected to help with lead generation through presentations, workshops, seminars, trade shows, cold calls and intensive networking.
- Gather knowledge and communicate internally to marketing and technical team on best practices and strategic approaches for bioassays and be able to communicate such information to external clients as needed.
- Focus business growth efforts by studying existing accounts and potential volume of new business.
- Keep management informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual territory analyses.
- Research prospective accounts in target markets, pursue leads and follow through to a successful agreement.
- Understand target markets, including Biologics development, Biosimilar development, contract research manufacturing.
- Possess a strong understanding of DiscoverX products, competition in the industry and product positioning.
- Work on established CRO relationships to drive future business and take a lead on setting up additional CRO partnerships, when and if needed.
- This position has regular communication and interactions with senior management and other staff within the Products Division, members of staff in R&D and Operations, Sales and Sales Management, and clients and potential clients of DiscoverX.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Preferred Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or related field is required.
- Minimum of 5 years (preferably 10) of work experience in drug discovery markets with emphasis on biologics discovery and development space – either in sales, marketing, business development or R&D.
- Knowledge/experience in:
- implementation of method through method development, method qualification/validation, method transfer
- testing for GMP and characterization
- Must have working understanding of bioassays and technology transfer requirements for assays to transfer to CROs.
- Basic understanding of Cell based Potency assays such as bioassays or ELISA assays.
- Must have well-developed interpersonal skills and be able to apply in advance, a combination of knowledge, imagination, judgment, and realistic appraisal in project evaluations.
- Must possess good to excellent writing and computer skills.
- Ability to present at Industry conferences.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to comprehend and problem solve in a variety of technical areas.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Concentrated studies in Cellular or Molecular Biology or Biochemistry preferred.
- Previous experience in Bioassay development or knowledge of customer requirements is preferred.
- Access to key contacts in Bioassay customers in CRO/CMP, pharma and biotech companies is highly beneficial.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Fast paced, performance driven, customer focused, collaborative and inclusive office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Ability to travel up to 50%, including overnight and weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are regular business hours Monday through Friday. The ability to work a flexible schedule (including evening and weekend work) may be required depending on business needs and job duties.
DiscoverX is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.
NOTE: Job descriptions are intended to reflect principal job elements essential for the position. They should not be construed to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job.